CALGARY, Alberta – Eighteen players who either played or were playing in the Canadian Junior Hockey League (CJHL) were selected in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft this past weekend in Sunrise, FL. CJHL Top Prospect Marcus Vela (BCHL) was the lone player drafted directly out of the CJHL this season. In total 12 CJHL players were listed on the 2015 NHL Central Scouting final rankings with only one player being drafted.
Vela is a strapping 6’2” 200 lbs forward who amassed 46 points with 20 goals, 26 assists in 50 games with the Langley Rivermen of the BCHL, also had 57 penalty minutes. A well rounded player that can be both a contributing offensive and defensive player were the reasons that the San Jose Sharks picked Marcus in the 7th round 190th overall.
The 2015 NHL Draft was a very successful day for the alumni of the CJHL. In all 17 players who played in CJHL leagues were indirectly drafted by NHL teams. This included two first round picks in Mitch Marner (OJHL) who was drafted 4th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs and Zachary Senyshyn (CCHL) who was drafted 15th overall by the Boston Bruins.
The following are CJHL players and alumni picked in the 2015 NHL draft.
- Mitch Marner, (OJHL), 1st round, 4th overall, Toronto Maple Leafs
- Zachary Senyshyn, (CCHL), 1st round, 15th overall, Boston Bruins
- Travis Dermott, (OJHL) ), 2nd round, 34th overall, Toronto Maple Leafs
- Ryan Gropp, (BCHL), 2nd round, 41st overall, New York Rangers
- Kyle Campobianco, (OJHL), 3rd round, 63rd overall, Arizona Coyotes
- Anthony Cirelli, (OJHL), 3rd round, 71st overall, Tampa Bay Lightning
- Aiden Hill, (AJHL), 3rd round, 76th overall, Arizona Coyotes
- Thomas Schemitsch, (OJHL), 3rd round, 88th overall, Florida Panthers
- Dennis Gilbert, (OJHL), 3rd round, 91st overall, Chicago Blackhawks
- Matthew Bradely, (BCHL), 5th round, 131st overall, Montreal Canadians
- Chase Pearson, (CCHL), 5th round, 140th overall, Detroit Redwings
- Connor Hobbs, (SJHL), 5th round, 143rd overall, Washington Capitals
- Stephen Desrocher, (OJHL), 6th round, 155th overall, Toronto Maple Leafs
- Brett Seney, (OJHL), 6th round, 157th overall, New Jersey Devils
- Cameron Hughes, (AJHL), 6th round, 165th overall, Boston Bruins
- Marcus Vela, (BCHL), 7th round, 190th overall, San Jose Sharks
- Riley Bruce, (CCHL), 7th round, 196th overall, Calgary Flames
- Jeremy Addison, (OJHL), 7th round, 207th overall, Montreal Canadians
Former CJHL alumni, Kyle Turris of the BCHL's Burnaby Express was drafted 3rd overall by the Phoenix Coyotes in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft and remains the highest ever selection taken directly from the CJHL