The Alberta Junior Hockey League Board of Governors held its Semi-Annual Meeting in Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, January 14th. A brief summary of the reports and decisions approved at the 2012 AJHL Semi-Annual Meeting are listed below:
- The AJHL Development Committee, which was developed following the 2011 AJHL Annual General Meeting, provided an update on its progress in evaluating the reduction of team rosters, age restrictions within team rosters, and the League playoff format. The committee will continue to explore the league’s options in these and other areas and will come forward with recommendations at the AJHL Annual General Meeting in May 2012.
- The 2012 AJHL Enerflex Cup Playoffs will commence on February 24th in the South Division and February 25th in the North Division. Each division will playoff to determine a divisional champion at the conclusion of Round Three in the AJHL Playoffs. The North Division Champion and the South Division Champion will then compete in the League Final for the 2012 AJHL Enerflex Cup.
- The Alberta Junior Hockey League will launch an AJHL Online Network at the start of the 2012-2013 season. The AJHL Network will be the first in Junior A hockey, and will include 16 team websites and one league website. All 17 websites will be redesigned with a fresh look, new content, league-wide integration and improved navigation.
- The 2012-2013 AJHL Regular Season will open on Friday, September 7th, 2012. The 480 game regular season will conclude in February 2013.
- The AJHL will return to Spruce Grove, Alberta for the 6th Annual AJHL Showcase Weekend in the 2012-2013 Season. Exact dates and schedule information for the 2012 AJHL Showcase will be announced following the 2012 AJHL Enerflex Cup Playoffs.
- The Alberta Junior Hockey League will participate in a new regional playoff format beginning in 2013.
The British Columbia Hockey League, Alberta Junior Hockey League, Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League and Manitoba Junior Hockey League will move to a five-team tournament and crown the first-ever Western Canadian Champion. The newly created Western Canadian Championship will include a host team and the league champion from each of the four western leagues. The 13-game tournament will include a round-robin schedule followed by two semi-final games and a championship game.
The Western Canadian Champion and the runner-up will both represent Western Canada at the RBC Cup National Junior A Championship.
- The Alberta Junior Hockey League will continue to operate under the direction of Chairman Greg Wood and League President Craig T. Cripps. The Alberta Junior Hockey League staff currently includes George McCorry (Vice President, Officiating), Ryan Bartoshyk (Vice-President, Marketing), Charla Flett (Communications / Statistics), Kirk Lamb (Special Advisor) and Bob Clark (Special Advisor).
- The 2012 AJHL Annual General Meeting will be held in Red Deer, Alberta on May 25th & 26th. The two-day event will include the 2012-2013 League Scheduling Meeting, AJHL Coaches Meetings, and the Annual General Meeting of the Board of Governors.