CALGARY, Alta. – With the majority of the nine leagues that comprise the Canadian Junior Hockey League (CJHL), having now returned to on-ice action, its initial Top 20 Rankings for 2022 were released Monday.
Once again, a familiar club sits at the top of the listings and that’s the Brooks Bandits (AJHL), who maintain their hold on No. 1 overall.
The front-runners in the Alberta Junior Hockey League boast a solid 45-5-1-0 record heading into play this week and are well on their way to clinching another regular season crown there.
Holding on to the No. 2 slot are the Summerside Western Capitals (MHL).
As play in the Maritimes hopefully nears a full resumption in the coming days, the Western Capitals are gearing up for a restart sporting a solid 23-3-0-1 mark to pace the pack in the 12-team MHL.
Meanwhile, the Ottawa Jr. A Senators, from the Central Canada Hockey League, are playing at a .857 clip, in terms of winning percentage, as they stay slotted No. 3 in the rankings, which are compiled by an independent scouting service.
They returned to play last week and picked up a pair of victories, as they improved to 23-3-1-1 on the campaign.
Over in northwestern Ontario, the No. 4 Kam River Fighting Walleye (SIJHL) also stayed hot with a 13th consecutive win over the weekend, raising their record to 23-3-1-0.
Rounding out the Top 5 are Collège Franà§ais de Longueuil (LHJAAAQ) as they, along with the rest of the teams in Quebec, expect to commence competition this week.
They’ll do so having gone 24-3-1-0 to date.
The following are the initial CJHL Top 20 Rankings, as well as the five Honourable Mention clubs, for 2022:
CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS (As of Feb. 7/22)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (Previous ranking)
1. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (1)
2. Summerside Western Capitals (MHL) (2)
3. Ottawa Jr. A Senators (CCHL) (3)
4. Kam River Fighting Walleye (SIJHL) (4)
5. Collège Franà§ais de Longueuil (LHJAAAQ) (5)
6. Panthères de St-Jérà´me (LHJAAAQ) (6)
7. Estevan Bruins (SJHL) (17)
8. Timmins Rock (NOJHL) (9)
9. Red Lake Miners (SIJHL) (7)
10. Toronto Jr. Canadiens (OJHL) (12)
11. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (13)
12. Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) (11)
13. North York Rangers (OJHL) (18)
14. Dauphin Kings (MJHL) (14)
15. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (16)
16. Pembroke Lumber Kings (CCHL) (20)
17. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (8)
18. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (15)
19. Hearst Lumberjacks (NOJHL) (HM)
20. Pickering Panthers (OJHL) (HM)
HONOURABLE MENTION: Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL); Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL); Flin Flon Bombers (SJHL); Waywayseecappo Wolverines (MJHL); Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL).
ABOUT THE RANKINGS: The weekly CJHL Top 20 Rankings are compiled during the season by an independent scouting service and are determined using a variety of factors during the process.
ABOUT THE CJHL: The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of nine Junior A leagues from Alberta to the Maritimes. The CJHL currently represents 115 teams and well over 2,500 players. There are also 3,000-plus CJHL alumni furthering their hockey careers at the NHL, AHL, ECHL, SPHL, NCAA, U SPORTS and CHL levels across North America as well as leagues across Europe.