The Brooks Bandits have won the Dave Duchak Trophy as the 2011-2012 AJHL Regular Season Champions. The Bandits have captured their first regular season title with a record of 47-7-6 and 100 points. The Spruce Grove Saints and Brooks Bandits each completed the regular season with 100 points, however, the Bandits prevailed with the best overall regular season record registering 43 regulation time victories compared to the Saints 38. Congratulations to the Bandits and Saints.
The Brooks Bandits set franchise records for Most Points in the Standings with 100 points, and Most Wins with 47. The previous records were set in 2008-2009 with 83 points and 39 wins. The Bandits won the AJHL South Division once previously in 2008-2009. The Bandits concluded the 2011-2012 regular season with 11 consecutive wins, and earned 16 of 16 possible points with an 8-0 record in February.
B y securing 1st place in the South Division, the Bandits have guaranteed themselves a first round bye in the 2012 AJHL Enerflex Cup Playoffs. The top seven teams in each division qualify for the 2012 AJHL Playoffs with the highest ranked seed awarded home ice advantage. The two-time defending League Champion Spruce Grove Saints have captured the AJHL North Division and also earned a first round bye.
Bandits Forward Matt Wilkins has won the AJHL Scoring Race with 99 points, which also ties a franchise record for the Bandits. Four members of the Brooks Bandits are finalists for the 2012 AJHL League Awards. The finalists include: Matt Wilkins (MVP), Anthony Petruzzelli (Rookie of the Year), Jan Obernesser (Top Goaltender) and Ryan Papaioannou (Coach of the Year). The 2012 League Award Winners will be announced on Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012.
David Duchak was the first Commissioner of the Alberta Junior Hockey League. Hockey Alberta and the Hockey Alberta Foundation inducted David Duchak into the Alberta Hockey Hall of Fame in 2009.
Dave Duchak Trophy (10 year history)
- 2002-2003 — Sherwood Park Crusaders (43 wins, 13 losses, 8 ties)
- 2003-2004 — Camrose Kodiaks (42 wins, 14 losses, 4 ties)
- 2004-2005 — Camrose Kodiaks (48 wins, 8 losses, 8 ties)
- 2005-2006 — Fort McMurray Oil Barons (40 wins, 14 losses, 2 ties, 4 overtime losses)
- 2006-2007 — Fort Saskatchewan Traders (45 wins, 11 losses, 0 ties, 4 overtime losses)
- 2007-2008 — Camrose Kodiaks (49 wins, 8 losses, 0 ties, 5 overtime losses)
- 2008-2009 — Spruce Grove Saints (46 wins, 7 losses, 4 ties, 5 overtime losses)
- 2009-2010 – Spruce Grove Saints (52 wins, 4 losses, 1 tie, 3 overtime losses)
- 2010-2011 – Spruce Grove Saints (48 wins, 8 losses, 4 overtime losses)
- 2011-2012 – Brooks Bandits (47wins, 7 loses, 6 overtime losses)
The opening round of the 2012 AJHL Enerflex Cup Playoffs will commence on February 23rd. The 2012 AJHL Playoff Schedule is available on the AJHL website www.AJHL.ca. Each division will playoff to determine a divisional champion at the conclusion of Round Three in the 2012 AJHL Playoffs. The North Division Champion and the South Division Champion will then compete in the League Final for the 2012 AJHL Enerflex Cup.
Watch each game of the 2012 AJHL Playoffs live on AJHL Pay Per View at www.AJHL.ca.