Calgary, Alberta: The Calgary Canucks Junior Hockey Booster Club operating as the Calgary Canucks Junior A Hockey team announced today the appointment of a slate of 12 members to the Board of Directors, 8 of which are new to the organization.
Returning to the Board are Arthur Yasinski, Bill Andrew, Sandy Edmonstone, Peter Crisfield, and Keith Clark. Joining the Board as new Directors are Dean Schroeder, Darin Banister, John Givens, Mark Schewe, Andrea Iervella, Orest Yasinski, and Mandy Chase.
Along with the appointments, the Club has also formalized the creation of a front office that recognizes the work and contributions of those behind the scenes. Currently, the positions are filled by the clubs' long-time volunteers, although the club is seeking new volunteers to fill vacant positions.
“I am pleased to welcome everyone who has agreed to volunteer their time and energy to serve both on the Board of Directors, and in the Front Office. We have a diverse set of experiences to draw upon which will help us as we move the franchise forward. The shared commitment to the success of the organization and to our players and their families, our fans, our sponsors, and the city of Calgary is impressive to say the least,” commented Arthur Yasinski.
Further remarked Yasinski, “I also want to acknowledge and thank the past members of the Board who have decided to step away from the team to focus on other endeavors. Their willingness to advise and assist throughout the transitions is very much appreciated.”
Today’s announcements further the Canucks’ commitment to Calgary, and to build upon their longstanding tenure in the AJHL with a mix towards the future. The club looks forward to continuing to demonstrate why it remains one of the more viable places to play and be seen in junior hockey.
Registrations for the Spring Camp on June 7-9 are well underway, with capacity already reached for goalies (email email@example.com to be added to the goalie waitlist). Interested skaters can register directly at http://canucks.info/SpringCamp. Individuals interested in volunteering to work with the Canucks organization this season can sign up at http://canucks.info/volunteer.
2019-20 Board of Directors
• Arthur Yasinski is entering his first year as President and Chairman of the Board, and will also serve as Alternate Governor. Mr. Yasinski is a former resident of Calgary, and is currently employed by Microsoft Corporation where he is entering his 22nd year with the company. He leads a team responsible for global experiences in the Cloud + AI division. He has experience in marketing, executive communications, business operations, and sales.
• Bill Andrew returns to the Board as Past-President, and Vice-President, Education & Scholarships. Mr. Andrew’s career in the energy industry included terms as CEO of large publicly traded companies. He is active in Calgary area charities and served as Chancellor of the University of Prince Edward Island. Bill was recently inducted into the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame as a Builder.
• Sandy Edmonstone will continue to serve as Governor for the Canucks. He is the President and CEO of Cation Capital Inc., and a former Executive Director and Deputy Head of Global Oil & Gas for the Macquarie Group. Mr. Edmonstone has 22 years of capital markets experience spanning the globe, has advised on hundreds of oil and gas transactions totaling more than $50 Billion and has been involved in raising similar amounts in capital.
• Peter Crisfield has served on the Board for a number of years, and returns as Vice-President, Governance and Administration. Mr. Crisfield has practiced law in Calgary for 35 years and has sat on several not-for-profit Boards during his career. His two sons have played hockey, and he has volunteered for community hockey associations and teams in various capacities.
• Keith Clark returns to the Board, and will fill the executive role of Treasurer after joining last year as a parent rep. He is a Certified Professional Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA) with experience in the oil and gas industry, post-secondary institutions and recreational sports facilities. Mr. Clark is a lifelong hockey goalie with a son and daughter playing competitive hockey and has volunteered for years both as a goalie coach and an outdoor rink volunteer.
• Dean Schroeder will serve as Secretary. He is an HR Consultant with Gallagher Benefit Services (Canada) Group Inc. Mr. Schroeder is a former member of the executive management team of a local non-profit organization, and specializes in change management. He also has experience in process improvement, expansion, and integration planning, and has been a minor hockey volunteer.
• Darin Banister joins the Board as Chair, Hockey Operations. He is an advertising executive with Stingray. Mr. Banister is a former professional hockey player drafted by the Detroit Red Wings, as well as a former member of the Canadian National Team. He started in the AJHL with the Calgary Spurs before moving on to college hockey and his pro career. He is active in local hockey community as former coach and volunteer.
• John Givens will take on the role of Chair, Fundraising. Mr. Givens is a Regional Vice President with Oracle, and has spent 20 plus years in technology with Microsoft, Hitachi and co -founding a software start up. He is involved in a number of charities and is passionate about giving back to our local communities.
• Mark Schewe will take on Billet Coordinator responsibilities and will join the Hockey Operations Committee. He is a Partner Development Manager with Microsoft Canada Co., based in Calgary. Mr. Schewe has driven strategy development with customers across oil and gas, and project management disciplines. He has also held positions in consulting and sales, along with owning his own business. He is an avid golfer, and an active recreational hockey player.
• Andrea Iervella will be Vice-President, Marketing & Promotions. She is an entrepreneur and marketing specialist. As founder and CEO of an innovative solution to preserve and archive children’s art and school work she won the 2015 Mompreneur® of the Year Award of Excellence for Canada. Ms. Iervella holds a BCom Marketing from the University of Calgary, and has held roles as Marketing Manager and Creative Services Manager. She is also mother to three children active in the local competitive sport community.
• Orest Yasinski will be Vice-President, Sponsorships. He is a former sales manager in the oil and gas industry, with experience as area supervisor, parts manager, and dispatcher. He is a lifelong recreational hockey player with sons who played competitive hockey at AAA/AA level. He will also participate on the Hockey Operations Committee.
• Mandy Chase will join to serve as Volunteer Liaison. She is part-owner of Chase Operating Training, which focuses on heavy equipment training, and Chase Elevating Equipment. Born and raised in Calgary, Ms. Chase currently lives in Airdrie where she has two children actively engaged in competitive hockey.
2019-20 Front Office Volunteers
• Lead, Operations, Communications, Community – Lindsay Clothier
• Lead, Volunteers, Front Office Coordinator – Judy Pennoyer
• Lead, Off-ice Officials – Corey Kinghorn
• Web Coordinator – Chantal Clothier
• Game Day Coordinator – open
• Lead, Security – open
About the Calgary Canucks: Founded in 1971, the Calgary Canucks are one of the most storied franchises in Canadian Junior A hockey. They have the longest tenure of any team in the AJHL in one city, with 48 years in the Stampede City. Over the years they have won 9 championships, had over 300 college scholarships granted, and have seen numerous alumni who went on to the NHL.