Photo Credit – Target Photography:
The Canalta Hotels AJHL Player of the Week is Brooks Bandits forward Randy Hernández. In three games, Hernández recorded 7 points (4G, 3A) and was twice selected as the Viterra AJHL Star of the Game.
Randy Hernández scored the first two goals and added an assist in a 5-4 shootout win over Canmore last Tuesday night and was awarded as the Star of the Game for the Bandits. On Saturday, he recorded an assist on the game winning goal in a tight 4-3 victory versus Drumheller. Randy earned his second Star of the Game award with 2 goals and an assist in a record-setting 6-3 win over Calgary on Sunday as the Bandits became just the second team in AJHL history to win their first 20 games of the season. With the win, the Bandits tie the 2012-13 iteration of their team, which was the only other AJHL squad to go 20-0.
Hernández (Miami, FL) was recently named the Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Player of the Month for October after recording 23 points (10G, 13A) in just 12 games in the month. He also received the Canalta Hotels Player of the Week award for the week of October 7-13, 2019. He leads the team in scoring with 33 points (15G, 18A) and is tied for third in AJHL Scoring.
Sherwood Park Crusaders goaltender Carter Gylander is the Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Defensive Player of the Week. The 18 year-old turned away 96 shots on goal over three games versus North Division opponents and was 2-1 while facing only his first loss of the season.
The Crusaders dominated Drayton Valley with a 7-1 victory on Tuesday as Gylander stopped 33 of 34 shots on goal and earned an assist in the win. The draft pick of the Detroit Red Wings suffered his first loss of the season on Friday night versus Spruce Grove in a 3-1 defeat while facing 32 shots. The Crusaders would take revenge on Saturday with a 6-2 win in Spruce Grove and Gylander receiving the Star of the Game award after stopping 33 shots on goal.
Gylander (Beaumont, AB) is 13-1 in the regular season, and ranks second among all AJHL goaltenders with a .923 save percentage. The Crusaders are 19-2-0 and hold top spot in the Viterra AJHL North Division.
Canalta Hotels AJHL Player of the Week Recipients:
- September 13-15, 2019 – Cody Laskosky, Camrose Kodiaks
- September 16-22, 2019 – Arjun Atwal, Sherwood Park Crusaders
- September 23-29, 2019 – Carter Savoie, Sherwood Park Crusaders
- September 30-October 6, 2019 – Alex Young, Canmore Eagles
- October 7-13, 2019 – Randy Hernández, Brooks Bandits
- October 14-20, 2019 – Connor Lyons, Canmore Eagles
- October 21-27, 2019 – Zafir Rawji, Olds Grizzlys
- October 28 – November 3, 2019: Randy Hernández, Brooks Bandits
Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Defensive Player of the Week:
- September 13-15, 2019 – Matt Davis, Spruce Grove Saints
- September 16-22, 2019 – Kaeden Lane, Grande Prairie Storm
- September 23-29, 2019 – Easton Hesse, Bonnyville Pontiacs
- September 30-October 6, 2019 – Michael Benning, Sherwood Park Crusaders
- October 7-13, 2019 – Tim Rego, Brooks Bandits
- October 14-20, 2019 – Ashton Abel, Okotoks Oilers
- October 21-27, 2019 – Kabore Dunn, Fort McMurray Oil Barons
- October 28 – November 3, 2019: Carter Gylander, Sherwood Park Crusaders