• Carson, Congratulations on being drafted 137th overall to the Minnesota Wild, NHL Central Scouting had you listed at 137th in their final rankings so you knew there was a chance to be chosen however what was your reaction to being picked in the 5th round?
“I was a little surprised but very excited,” exclaims Soucy. “I hadn't spoken with Minnesota too much over the course of the season but as soon as my name came up I was very excited to be joining their organization.”
• Which components of your game do you believe impressed the Wild scouting staff for them to take you as their 4th pick in this year's draft?
“I think they were interested in my size and my ability to play physical since I am a big guy, also my ability to move the puck and contribute through putting some points on the board.”
• It has been said when you get drafted the real work begins, before heading off to the University of Minnesota-Duluth next season what are some elements you feel you would like to improve?
“I am working on my foot speed, I am a big guy so I try and focus on that. Also my upper body strength, Division 1 hockey is a man's league and you must be strong to compete and have success.”
How has your experience at Wild Development Camp been so far?
“It is a different atmosphere than I have been in before,” Says Soucy. “The Intensity is high, 2 skates a day with a workout in between. The skates are very up tempo compared to junior, it is tough but you always feel good at the end of the day.”
• Last season you made the jump from Midget AAA to Jr. A, this fall you will be making another large step forward in your hockey career, what are you looking forward to the most while attending UMD and their Division 1 hockey program.
“The intensity at that level of hockey, everyone in college is a good player and they are there for a reason. There are not too many games (only 2 a week) so every game matters. You cannot afford to take a night off and I am excited to play in a great league.”
• Have you decided what you will be taking?
“Initially I will take business and see if I enjoy it, I am able to change if I find a better fit later.”
• As a multi sport athlete you have been able to compete in two sports at considerably high levels throughout your life, is it at all possible for you to continue your fastball career under the new circumstances?
“I will still play but not to the extent I have in the past, Hockey will obviously take much more of my focus going forward.”
• When reaching a milestone in life people tend to reflect on some of their personal influences, who has inspired or guided you to your recent achievements?
“My parents and family have been extremely supportive throughout my life. All of my coaches throughout the years have helped me develop into the player I am today.”
• What is the main goal for you as a hockey player in the future?
“Play in the NHL, pro in general but absolutely to play in the NHL in the future.”
Carson will continue to compete at the Minnesota Wild's development camp this week until it wraps up on Sunday. For more information regarding Carson Soucy please check sgsaints.com.