CALGARY, Alberta – The final week of the regular season in the CJHL has arrived, and the race to secure final playoff spots is close in nearly all leagues. There was great drama in the OJHL on Sunday evening as the Toronto Junior Canadiens slipped past the Oakville Blades 6-5 in overtime, to take the Sudden Victory game and snag the final playoff spot in the OJHL.
On the west coast, the Victoria Grizzlies and Langley Rivermen of the BCHL continued their strong play, while the Vernon Vipers have found their game and beat their closest competitors in the tough Interior Division in the last 5 games. In the AJHL, the Spruce Grove Saints were shutout in Fort McMurray by the Oil Barons who were then beaten by the Sherwood Park Crusaders. The Brooks Bandits are followed closely by the Okotoks Oilers and the Drumheller Dragons and the recent fine play of the Camrose Kodiaks and Canmore Eagles cannot be ignored with the first round of the playoffs right around the corner.
In the SJHL, the Yorkton Terriers have created some breathing room atop the overall standings, and the recent 8-1-0-1 record of the Battlefords North Stars will make things very interesting heading into the playoffs. The Selkirk Steelers are dominating the MJHL, while the Soo Thunderbirds of the NOJHL, and the Fort Frances Lakers of the SIJHL each continue their sturdy play with solid leads over the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners and the Thunder Bay North Stars respectively.
The Kingston Voyageurs wrapped up the regular season on top of the overall standings in the OJHL, and look to continue their strong play heading into the playoffs. The Carleton Place Canadians of the CCHL, have had a truly spectacular season, are joined in this week’s Top 20 by the Smiths Falls Bears who move from the Honourable Mention list to number 18 in the Top 20 with strong performances.
Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome will clinch the top spot in the LHJAAAQ, while in the MHL, the Truro Bearcats have moved ahead of the Miramichi Timberwolves with just a few games left in the regular season.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (1)
2. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (2)
3. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (3)
4. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (4)
5. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (5)
6. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (6)
7. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (9)
8. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (7)
9. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (8)
10. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (12)
11. Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL) (10)
12. Langley Rivermen (BCHL) (11)
13. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (13)
14. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (14)
15. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (15)
16. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (16)
17. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (HM)
18. Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL) (HM)
19. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (19)
20. Truro Bearcats (MHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Vernon Vipers (BCHL), Battlefords North Stars (SJHL), Portage Terriers (MJHL), Whitby Fury (OJHL), Miramichi Timberwolves (MHL)
About the Top 20 Rankings
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
About the CJHL