CALGARY, Alberta – As we start into playoffs this week for all leagues in the CJHL, the defending RBC Cup Champions Portage Terriers chose a perfect time for a 20-game winning streak and wind up in the top spot of the final Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 Weekly Rankings.
The Penticton Vees are off to a great start in the BCHL playoffs. However, the Powell River Kings and the Chilliwack Chiefs are also both off to great starts as well with all having perfect 2 – 0 records.
The Spruce Grove Saints earned the regular season AJHL championship banner – narrowly squeaking by the Brooks Bandits.
The Battlefords North Stars captured top spot in the SJHL over the Melfort Mustangs and the Weyburn Red Wings, while the Portage Terriers finished ahead of the surging Steinbach Pistons and the Winkler Flyers in the MJHL.
The Fort Frances Lakers of the SIJHL secured their third straight regular season title, while the Soo Thunderbirds remained unbeaten at home (26-0) this season in the NOJHL.
The Trenton Golden Hawks, who won the regular season crown in the OJHL, have a commanding lead in their first round of playoff against the Newmarket Hurricanes. Meanwhile the second place Georgetown Raiders are 1 – 1 in their series vs the Orangeville Flyers.
Meanwhile, the Carleton Place Canadians of the CCHL clinched top spot overall over the Ottawa Jr. ’A’ Senators, Brockville Braves, and the surprising Hawksbury Hawks who placed third overall.
The Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe finished in a dead heat with the College Francais de Longeueil for top spot in the QJHL, while the Summerside Western Capitals have snuck ahead of the Woodstock Slammers – this year’s hosts of the Fred Page Cup – with just a few game left in the extremely competitive Maritime Hockey League.
Final Top 20 Rankings
1. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (1)
2. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (2)
3. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (3)
4. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (4)
5. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (5)
6. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (7)
7. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (6)
8. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (8)
9. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (9)
10. Lloydminster Bobcats (AJHL) (10)
11. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (12)
12. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (11)
13. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (14)
14. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (13)
15. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (15)
16. Les Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe (QJHL) (16)
17. College Francais de Longeueil (QJHL) (17)
18. Melfort Mustangs (SJHL) (18)
19. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (19)
20. Summerside Western Capitals (MHL) (NR)
Honourable Mention: West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL), Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL), Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL), Georgetown Raiders (OJHL), Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL).
About the Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 Rankings – The Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are produced in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS) and are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.