Several regular seasons conclude… playoffs on the horizon
CALGARY, Alberta – Playoffs are scheduled to start this week for several leagues in the CJHL, and the defending RBC Cup Champions, Manitoba’s Portage Terriers, have chosen a perfect time to go on a 19-game winning streak, and have overtaken the Penticton Vees of the BCHL for top spot in the country. Many fans of the CJHL are hoping these two juggernauts meet for the Crescent Point Western Canada Cup in Estevan, Saskatchewan later in April.
The Penticton Vees of the BCHL wound up their impressive regular season with 50 wins. The Spruce Grove Saints moved ahead of the Brooks Bandits in the AJHL for top spot overall as the Bandits stumbled slightly as the Alberta season draws to a close.
The Battlefords North Stars look primed to clinch the top spot in the SJHL over the Melfort Mustangs and the Weyburn Red Wings.
In the MJHL, the Portage Terriers, with a CJHL best 51 regular season victories, remain at the top of the that league as the Steinbach Pistons and Winkler Flyers try to solidify their playoff spots.
The Fort Frances Lakers of the SIJHL have secured their place at the top of the standings, while the Soo Thunderbirds, Cochrane Crunch, Powassan Voodoos and Kirkland Lake Gold Miners remain at the top of the pack in the NOJHL.
The Trenton Golden Hawks, who won the regular season crown in the OJHL, are now preparing for a long playoff run. Meanwhile, the Carleton Place Canadians of the CCHL remain locked in a heated battle for top spot overall with the Ottawa Jr. ’A’ Senators and the Brockville Braves.
The Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe are deadlocked with the College Francais de Longeueil for top spot in the QJHL, while the Woodstock Slammers still hold onto the top spot in the overall standings over the Summerside Western Capitals in the Maritime Hockey League.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (2)
2. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (1)
3. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (3)
4. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (4)
5. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (6)
6. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (8)
7. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (7)
8. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (5)
9. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (12)
10. Lloydminster Bobcats (AJHL) (9)
11. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (10)
12. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (13)
13. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (16)
14. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (11)
15. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (14)
16. Les Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe (QJHL) (15)
17. College Francais de Longeueil (QJHL) (19)
18. Melfort Mustangs (SJHL) (HM)
19. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (17)
20. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL), Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL), Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL), Georgetown Raiders (OJHL), Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL).
About the Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 Rankings – The Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are produced in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS) and are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.