CALGARY, Alberta – The Fort McMurray Oil Barons continue their dominance in a tough North Division in the AJHL, and this past week saw the defending RBC Cup Champion Brooks Bandits further strengthen their lead in the South Division. The Powell River Kings in the BCHL are showing no signs of easing up as they sneaked by the West Kelowna Warriors in a mid-week showdown with the BCHL’s two top teams at home on the Sunshine Coast. Langley is quietly putting a solid winning streak together while overcoming a rash of injuries during this streak.
The La Ronge Ice Wolves and Kindersley Klippers continue to separate themselves in Saskatchewan, while in Manitoba, the Steinbach Pistons are steamrolling everyone as they jump out to the top of the MJHL.
In the Superior International Junior Hockey League, the Thunder Bay North Stars are unbeaten after four games, and trail the Fort Francis Lakers by virtue only of having played fewer games.
In the NOJHL, the Soo Thunderbirds remain at the top of the standings, while a strong week from the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners and Espanola Rivermen is keeping the standings close.
The Wellington Dukes are creating some breathing room at the top of the OJHL’s East Division, while the Carleton Place Canadiens are also starting to separate themselves from the pack in the CCHL.
The LHJAAAQ's Les Cougars de Sherbrooke are still a force in Quebec, with Titan de Princeville hot on their heels. In the MHL, Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners had a tremendous week and sit on top of the overall standings.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (1)
2. La Ronge Ice Wolves (SJHL) (3)
3. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (7)
4. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (4)
5. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (9)
6. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (5)
7. Les Cougars de Sherbrooke (LHJAAAQ) (2)
8. Wellington Dukes (OJHL) (20)
9. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (12)
10. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (8)
11. Carleton Place Canadiens (CCHL) (15)
12. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (11)
13. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (18)
14. Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL) (HM)
15. West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL) (10)
16. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (16)
17. Okotoks Oilers (AJHL) (NR)
18. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (NR)
19. Ottawa Jr. Senators (CCHL) (14)
20. Virden Oil Capitals (MJHL) (19)
HHonourable Mention: Langley Rivermen (BCHL), Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL), Yorkton Terriers (SJHL), Espanola Rivermen (NOJHL), Titan de Princeville (LHJAAAQ)
About the Top 20 Rankings
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
About the CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada. The CJHL represents more than 120 teams and 2,500 players and has over 2,800 former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America. For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.