The Okotoks Oilers of the Alberta Junior Hockey League are seeking a driven and passionate individual to join our team as the Business Operations Lead. If you’re a sports enthusiast with a desire to make a positive impact, this is the opportunity for you.
As a non-profit hockey team, we’re committed to securing our long-term future while building a pre-eminent brand in Junior hockey. Reporting to the Assistant General Manager, Business Operations, the successful candidate will lead our team’s relationships with local businesses, generate revenue opportunities, and attend to administrative and financial elements in the team’s office. In addition, you’ll be an integral part of executing game day operations.
At the Okotoks Oilers, we believe that hard work should be rewarded. Our commission-based salary structure allows you to directly benefit from your efforts, with virtually unlimited earning potential from the sale of our team’s advertising inventory at the arena.
In recent years, we’ve set new records for ticket sales and corporate partnerships, but we’re not content to rest on our laurels. Our goal is to be a financially healthy non-profit that rewards employees for the team’s success. We aim to be a top-tier junior hockey team that competes for championships and develops players for higher levels of hockey. Most importantly, we’re committed to hosting major national events at our arena, such as the Telus and Esso Cups we proudly hosted in 2022. You will play a crucial role in ensuring the success of these events.
- Generate sales of team advertising inventory through face-to-face and virtual presentations with local businesses
- Create and maintain relationships with local businesses
- Maintain customer database
- Assist in season and game day ticket sales, especially group sales
- Maintain regular office hours, acting as a customer service representative for the team
- Process transactions in the team office
- Assist in financial data entry and reporting, including billing and invoicing
- Assist with game day operations for the team’s home games
- Execute fundraising events, including the team’s annual golf tournament
- Play a key role in executing successful national events hosted at our arena
- Passion for hockey and the sports industry
- Interpersonal and customer service capabilities, with a focus on generating sales leads and cultivating productive relationships with business partners
- Ability to work independently
- Computer skills including MS Office Suite
- Familiarity with the hockey industry, especially junior hockey, is helpful
- Sales experience is an asset, but not required
- Experience with bookkeeping tasks and familiarity with programs such as QuickBooks or Sage Accounting will be an advantage, but not required
- Business or sport management educational background is preferred, but not required
The successful candidate will be offered a full-time base salary, but with the addition of a significant commission structure, earning between 10%-15% of corporate sales revenue on a sliding scale. In addition, we provide our employees with all the necessary tools and resources to succeed, including cell phone, travel, and meeting expenses.
If you’re interested in applying, please send a resume and short summary of your interest in the position and how you feel you could accomplish the objectives of the role to:
Assistant General Manager, Business Operations
We’ll be accepting applications until 5:00 PM Mountain Time on Monday, May 1st, 2023. Projected start date is June 1st but is flexible.