CALGARY, Alberta – As the top players in the CJHL prepare for upcoming Selection Camps for the upcoming World Junior A Challenge in Coburg and Whitby in December, the final week of November saw several moves by top teams in the CJHL both upwards and downwards, as the competition for placement in standings intensifies.
The Penticton Vees continue another week as Canada’s top Junior ‘A’ team, while the Salmon Arm Silverbacks and the Chilliwack Chiefs round out the top three spots in the BCHL.
The Spruce Grove Saints and Lloydminster Bobcats are being pursued by the Whitecourt Wolverines in the AJHL’s VIterra North Division, and the Brooks Bandits move forward from an Honourable Mention to the top spot in the Viterra South Division.
The Melfort Mustangs continue to dominate the SJHL, while the Portage Terriers and Winkler Flyers remain the cream of the crop in the MJHL, however, the Steinbach Pistons are beginning to close in on both them in the standings.
The Fort Frances Lakers in the Superior International Junior Hockey League continue their strong grip on first place, while the Soo Thunderbirds, Powassan Voodoos, and Cochrane Crunch are beginning to separate themselves from the rest of the NOJHL.
The Trenton Golden Hawks are running away with the lead from the rest of the OJHL, while the Carleton Place Canadians and the Cumberland Grads have strengthened their positioning in the overall standings of the CCHL.
The College Francais de Longueuil, and the Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe remain in a dogfight for the top spot in the QJHL, but are followed closely by Les Cobras de Terrebonne.
The Summerside Western Capitals continue to roll along atop the overall standings in the MHL, where a mere four points separate four teams from second place overall.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (1)
2. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (2)
3. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (5)
4. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (6)
5. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (3)
6. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (4)
7. Lloydminster Bobcats (AJHL) (9)
8. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (10)
9. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (7)
10. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (8)
11. Melfort Mustangs (SJHL) (13)
12. Summerside Western Capitals (MHL) (12)
13. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (11)
14. Salmon Arm Silverbacks (BCHL) (17)
15. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (19)
16. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (16)
17. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (HR)
18. Cumberland Grads (CCHL) (HR)
19. College Francais de Longeueil (QJHL) (18)
20. Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe (QJHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Battlefords North Stars (SJHL), Weyburn Red Wings (SJHL), Steinbach Pistons (MJHL), Brockville Braves (CCHL), Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL).
About the Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 Rankings – The Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are produced in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS) and are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.