Twelve players from the Canadian Junior Hockey League were selected in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft today in Newark, NJ. Carson Soucy and Mike Williamson of the Spruce Grove Saints represented the AJHL as two of the CJHL selections.
Adam Tambellini of the Surrey Eagles was drafted in the second round, 65th overall, by the New York Rangers to become this year’s highest CJHL draft pick. The BCHL led the CJHL with seven draft picks including Tambellini.
The Pittsburg Penguins selected three CJHL players in today’s draft. The Minnesota Wild also made duplicate selections of CJHL players with two draft picks.
• Adam Tambellini, Surrey (BCHL), 2nd round, 65th overall, New York Rangers
• Matt Buckles, St. Michael’s (OJHL), 4th round, 98th overall, Florida Panthers
• David Pope, West Kelowna (BCHL), 4th round, 109th overall, Detroit Red Wings
• Evan Campbell, Langley (BCHL), 5th round, 128th overall, Edmonton Oilers
• Carson Soucy, Spruce Grove (AJHL), 5th round, 137th overall, Minnesota Wild
• Dane Birks, Merritt (BCHL), 6th round, 164th overall, Pittsburg Penguins
• Mike Williamson, Spruce Grove (AJHL), 6th round, 175th overall, Vancouver Canucks
• Blaine Byron, Smiths Falls (CCHL), 6th round, 179th overall, Pittsburg Penguins
• Wade Murphy, Penticton (BCHL), 7th round, 185th overall, Nashville Predators
• Jedd Soleway, Penticton (BCHL), 7th round, 193rd overall, Phoenix Coyotes
• Nolan De Jong, Victoria (BCHL), 7th round, 197th overall, Minnesota Wild
• Troy Josephs, St. Michael’s (OJHL), 7th round, 209th overall, Pittsburg Penguins
Fifteen CJHL players were identified in the Final Rankings for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in April. Adam Tambellini was the recipient of the CJHL’s Top NHL Prospect Award as the highest ranked CJHL player in the Final Rankings at 42nd on the North American Skaters list.
Kyle Turris of the BCHL's Burnaby Express was drafted 3rd overall by the Phoenix Coyotes in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft and remains the highest ever selection from the CJHL.