The Alberta Junior Hockey League and Viterra are proud to recognize one volunteer from each member team through the Viterra AJHL Volunteer Profile throughout the 2014-2015 season. At the end of the regular season, one volunteer in both the Viterra AJHL North Division & Viterra AJHL South Division will be presented with the Viterra Salute to Service Award recognizing their service and commitment to the Alberta Junior Hockey League.
- Name: Rob Leatherdale
- Team: Okotoks Oilers
- Role: Off Ice Coordinator/Security
- Number of Years Volunteering: 10
- Number of Years Volunteering: This is 10th. We started at the Murray Arena and have built our volunteer group in all roles to just under 100, but there have been many come and go which exceed that total and also many who have stayed with us since the start. With the experience of the past years we feel we have improved each year to what we have now which is a professional, efficient, friendly game day operation as well as ongoing support for all aspects of the team, year round.
- Why I Volunteer: I enjoy being involved with the team, the community and all those who are involved in so many ways. The Oiler organization is a great group from the Board, coaches, players and support staff to the volunteers and all those who are part of the “Off The Ice” team which encompasses so many people. It truly is a 'team effort' Our corps of volunteers are a fantastic bunch from all aspects of our community and surrounding area, who work very hard to represent the Oilers and community of Okotoks in a friendly, professional manner. It is a group of which we can truly be proud. We take pride in welcoming our visitors and Officials, ensuring their needs are met off the ice as well as presenting a professional appearance for the on-ice activities. Our reward is some of the positive feedback from visitors who enjoy coming to our Arena regardless of the outcome on the ice.
- Occupation: Retired
- Favorite AJHL Memory: Lots of good ones over the years. The Brooks series two years ago probably one of the best and most recent but there have been many. I also have good memories of things which have transpired as we watched the team grow each year in all respects. We can be truly proud of our Oilers as each of us makes our individual and collective contribution.
- Favorite AJHL Player: I hesitate to single out any one in particular as there are so many differing personalities in the teams. One of the things I enjoy is the interaction with all the players in my various roles, seeing these young men and their families taking pride in what they do, striving for their goals in life. Many come back to say hello after they graduate from the team(s), even some who played for other teams. It is satisfying to see some of them go on to their various accomplishments in life but never forgetting their pride in being and Oiler.