CALGARY, Alberta – As the World Junior ‘A’ Challenge gets underway in Coburg and Whitby, another battle is shaping up for number one overall in the CJHL between the newest top team, the Trenton Golden Hawks of the OJHL, and the Penticton Vees of the BCHL. This looks to be a long-term battle with both teams as we move into the second part of the season.
The Vees had a small stumble this past week in Salmon Arm, but got back on the winning track against those same Silverbacks back in their home rink on the weekend.
The Lloydminster Bobcats have also stumbled slightly in the AJHL, and have seen the Whitecourt Wolverines and the Brooks Bandits move closer to the Bobcats.
The Melfort Mustangs have been joined by the Battlefords North Stars as the two top teams in the SJHL.
The Portage Terriers remain strong at the top of the MJHL, but the Winkler Flyers and the Steinbach Pistons are right behind them in the overall MJHL standings.
The Fort Frances Lakers in the Superior International Junior Hockey League continue their strong grip on first place, while the Soo Thunderbirds, Powassan Voodoos, and Cochrane Crunch are continuing to separate themselves from the rest of the NOJHL.
The Trenton Golden Hawks are still running away from the rest of the OJHL, while the Carleton Place Canadians and the Cumberland Grads are holding their positioning in at the top of the overall standings of the CCHL.
The College Francais de Longueuil of the QJHL are tied in points with the Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe, but have one more regulation win and a game in hand on the Montagnards.
Meanwhile, the Summerside Western Capitals are locked in a pitched battle with the Dieppe Commandos for top spot in the overall standings in the Maritime Hockey League.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (2)
2. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (1)
3. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (3)
4. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (5)
5. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (6)
6. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (4)
7. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (11)
8. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (8)
9. Lloydminster Bobcats (AJHL) (7)
10. Melfort Mustangs (SJHL) (10)
11. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (9)
12. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (13)
13. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (12)
14. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (14)
15. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (16)
16. College Francais de Longeueil (QJHL) (15)
17. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (20)
18. Cumberland Grads (CCHL) (17)
19. Summerside Western Capitals (MHL) (HM)
20. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Salmon Arm Silverbacks (BCHL), Camrose Kodiaks (AJHL), Weyburn Red Wings (SJHL), Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL), Dieppe Commandos (MHL).
About the Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 Rankings – The Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are produced in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS) and are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc