Photo Credit – Pro Sports Photography:
The Canalta Hotels Player of the Week is Bonnyville Pontiacs defenceman Jeremy Gervais, who recorded 9 points (1G, 8A) in a five-game road trip through the Viterra AJHL South Division. Gervais returns home third in team scoring with 13 points (1G, 12A) and 4th overall among AJHL defencemen.
The Bonnyville Pontiacs completed a rare five-game road trip, picking up four wins against the Olds Grizzlys, Calgary Canucks, Calgary Mustangs and Canmore Eagles. The only falter of the week came against the Okotoks Oilers on Saturday night in a 5-1 loss. The 8-point gain earned them possession of first place in the Viterra AJHL North Division standings with a record of 13-3-0.
Gervais, 19, started the trip with a 3-point performance in an 8-1 win versus the Olds Grizzlys on Monday. He added 3 assists to his stats on Tuesday in a 7-1 victory over the Canucks, and another 2 assists in a 5-2 win across town on Thursday versus the Mustangs. The first year Pontiac blueliner was held off the scoresheet in Okotoks on Saturday, but earned an assist in the team’s 3-2 win in Canmore on Sunday afternoon.
Grande Prairie Storm goaltender Kaeden Freer-Lane is the Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Defensive Player of the Week for the week of October 15th – 21st. The rookie posted a shutout and two wins for the Storm last week as they grew their winning streak to three games.
Freer-Lane (Medicine Hat, AB) posted a stingy 0.5 GAA in his two victories against South Division opponents and stopped 32 of 33 shots over the two games. The weekend began with a shutout for Keagan and the Storm as they blanked the Calgary Canucks 4-0. The 17 year-old was recognized with the Viterra AJHL Star of the Game for his efforts. On Saturday night, Grande Prairie stopped a 7-game winning streak for the visiting Drumheller Dragons with a 5-1 victory, and Freer-Lane turning away 19 of 20 shots on goal.
Kaeden is yet to lose in regulation through 6 games in October and has a record of 6-3-1 in the regular season. The Grande Prairie Storm is 8-1-1 in the last 10 games.
Canalta Hotels AJHL Player of the Week Recipients:
• Shane Ott, Drumheller Dragons: September 14-16, 2018
• Parker Saretsky, Spruce Grove Saints: September 17-23, 2018
• Charles-Olivier Ouiment, Whitecourt Wolverines: September 24-30, 2018
• Arjun Atwal, Sherwood Park Crusaders: October 1-7, 2018
• Zach Webb, Grande Prairie Storm: October 8-14, 2018
• Jeremy Gervais, Bonnyville Pontiacs: October 15-21, 2018
Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Defensive Player of the Week:
• Taner Miller, Fort McMurray Oil Barons : September 14-16, 2018
• Mark Drohan, Canmore Eagles: September 17-23, 2018
• Ashton Abel, Calgary Mustangs: September 24-30, 2018
• TJ Lloyd, Spruce Grove Saints: October 1-7, 2018
• Pierce Charleson, Brooks Bandits: October 8-14, 2018
• Kaeden Freer-Lane, Grande Prairie Storm: October 15-21, 2018