CALGARY, Alta – It was announced Friday that six Canadian Junior Hockey League alumni are among a group of 15 who have been selected as candidates for the NCAA 2016-17 Senior CLASS Award.
To be eligible for the award, the student-athletes had to be classified as an NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence: Community; Classroom; Character and Competition.
The CJHL alumni Senior CLASS Award candidates are:
- Brock Maschmeyer D Northern Michigan (Nanaimo Clippers BCHL / Fort McMurray Oil Barons AJHL / Lloydminster Bobcats AJHL)
- James de Haas D Clarkson (Penticton Vees BCHL/Toronto Patriots OJHL)
- Max French F Bentley (West Kelowna Warriors BCHL)
- Parker Gahagen G Army West Point (Buffalo Jr. Sabres OJHL)
- Brendan Harms F Bemidji State (Portage Terriers MJHL)
- Alexander Kerfoot F Harvard (Coquitlam Express BCHL)
Standing for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School, the Senior CLASS Award focuses on the total student-athlete and encourages students to use their platform in athletics to make a positive impact as leaders in their respective communities.
The 15 candidates will be narrowed to 10 finalists in February and those 10 names will be placed on the official ballot.
From there a voting system will allow media members, coaches and fans to select the recipient who best exemplifies excellence in the four Cs of community, classroom, character and competition.
The Senior CLASS Award winner will be announced during the Frozen Four, April 6-8, in Chicago, Ill.