Photo Credit: Em Duncan:
The Pizza 73 AJHL Player of the Week and Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Defensive Player of the Week both represent the Brooks Bandits as the team picked up their tenth consecutive victory to close out the week of October 11th – 17th, 2021.
Forward Ryan McAllister is the Pizza 73 AJHL Player of the Week while defenceman Zach Bookman earns the title of Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Defensive Player of the Week.
McAllister, 19, leads the AJHL in scoring with 30 points (13G, 17A) following a 12-point performance over four games last week with four goals and eight assists. The Western Michigan commit is enjoying a five-game goal streak and averaging 2.5 points per game.
All four wins for the Brooks Bandits came over South Division opponents. The division leading Bandits recorded a 7-3 win over Camrose on October 11th in which McAllister scored a goal and an assist. A double header in Canmore against the Eagles on October 14th and 15th opened with a 5-0 shutout for Brooks and a three-point (1G, 2A) game for Ryan McAllister. The second game in the series was a lopsided 9-1 victory for the road Bandits as McAllister extended his goal streak with a goal and an assist in the victory. Brooks picked up their 10th consecutive victory on October 17th beating the Olds Grizzlys 8-2 in a career high five-point (1G, 4A) game for McAllister.
Zach Bookman, 19, led all defencemen with six points (1G, 5A) from October 11th-17th, 2021 as the Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Defensive Player of the Week. He is now tied for fourth in the AJHL Scoring Race with 20 points (2G, 18A).
The Merrimack College commit posted two assists in a 7-3 win on October 11th versus Camrose. Zach was held off the score sheet for the first time this season in a 5-0 win over Canmore, but bounced back with a goal and two assists in the second game of the double header and a 9-1 triumph for Brooks. Bookman’s sixth point of the week came as an assist in the 8-2 home win versus Olds.
Fort McMurray Oil Barons forward, Ryder Matter, is the Inter Pipeline AJHL Rookie of the Week. The 17 year-old added six points (1G, 5A) in three games for the MOB and helped to extend the team’s winning streak to five games.
Matter (Leduc, AB) had two assists on October 13th as the division leading Oil Barons defeated the Lloydminster Bobcats 7-2. In back to back games versus the Grande Prairie Storm over the weekend, Matter recorded three assists and a goal. The rookie added three assists in the 5-4 OT win, including an assist on the game tying goal with 19 seconds remaining to send the game to extra time. The following night he opened the scoring in a 3-1 victory to wrap up the double header.
Pizza 73 AJHL Player of the Week Recipients:
- September 17-19, 2021: Caiden Gault, Spruce Grove Saints
- September 20-26, 2021: Mitchell Joss, Sherwood Park Crusaders
- September 27-October 3, 2021: Christiano Aiello, Whitecourt Wolverines
- October 4-10, 2021: Noah Hackett, Olds Grizzlys
- October 11-17, 2021: Ryan McAllister, Brooks Bandits
Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Defensive Player of the Week:
- September 17-19, 2021: Brendan Kennette, Brooks Bandits
- September 20-26, 2021: Brett McKinley, Spruce Grove Saints
- September 27-October 3, 2021: Joshua Zinger, Olds Grizzlys
- October 4-10, 2021: Austin Zavoda, Okotoks Oilers
- October 11-17, 2021: Zach Bookman, Brooks Bandits
Inter Pipeline AJHL Rookie of the Week:
- September 17-19, 2021: Carson Whyte, Camrose Kodiaks
- September 20-26, 2021: Logan Hauer, Sherwood Park Crusaders
- September 27-October 3, 2021 – Thomas Vela, Olds Grizzlys
- October 4-10, 2021: Bowden Singleton, Okotoks Oilers
- October 11-17, 2021: Ryder Matter, Brooks Bandits