CALGARY, Alberta (February 8, 2016) – The battles are intense every night, as teams fight to rise in the standings and prepare to enter their respective playoffs on strong play and winning hockey.
The Penticton Vees of the BCHL have taken over top spot in the nation with their extended winning streak, and a good old “thumping” this past week of the top team in the Island Division – the Nanaimo Clippers.
In the AJHL, the Spruce Grove Saints and the Brooks Bandits are neck and neck for top spot in Alberta while the Whitecourt Wolverines, the Lloydminster Bobcats, and the Bonnyville Pontiacs push hard in what may be the most competitive division in the entire CJHL – the AJHL’s Viterra North Division.
The Battlefords North Stars of the SJHL are pulling away from the Melfort Mustangs, while the Portage Terriers remain at the top of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League, as the Steinbach Pistons and the Winkler Flyers continue gain some ground.
The Fort Frances Lakers in the Superior International Junior Hockey League have secured their place at the top of the standings, while the Soo Thunderbirds, Powassan Voodoos, Cochrane Crunch and the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners remain at the top of the pack in the NOJHL.
The Trenton Golden Hawks remain the cream of the crop in the OJHL, and the Kingston Voyageurs as well as the Georgetown Raiders have found their winning ways.
Meanwhile, the Ottawa Jr. ’A’ Senators of the CCHL are locked in a battle for top spot overall with the Carleton Place Canadians.
The College Francais de Longueuil of the QJHL are also neck and neck with the Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe, while the Woodstock Slammers still hold onto the top spot in the overall standings in the Maritime Hockey League.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (2)
2. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (1)
3. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (3)
4. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (4)
5. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (5)
6. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (6)
7. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (7)
8. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (8)
9. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (14)
10. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (9)
11. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (12)
12. Lloydminster Bobcats (AJHL) (10)
13. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (11)
14. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (15)
15. College Francais de Longeueil (QJHL) (13)
16. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (16)
17. Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL) (16)
18. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (HM)
19. Les Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe (QJHL) (HM)
20. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL), Melfort Mustangs (SJHL), Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL), Georgetown Raiders (OJHL), Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL).
About the Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 Rankings – The Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are produced in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS) and are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.