CALGARY, Alberta – With the regular season winding down, several teams continue with impressive winning streaks and are causing some movement within the Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 Weekly Rankins, while in Saskatchewan, perennial powerhouse, the Humboldt Broncos, see their amazing 35-year streak of playoff appearances come to a close.
The Penticton Vees of the BCHL have clinched the BCHL regular season banner with their extended winning streak, and are serving notice that they intend to earn a trip to Lloydminster in early May to compete for the RBC Cup.
In the AJHL, the Brooks Bandits are on an 11-game winning streak, and have moved ahead of the Spruce Grove Saints for top winning percentage in Alberta with two games in hand over the Saints, while the Lloydminster Bobcats, who are hosting the RBC Cup in May, are winding up their regular season with some very strong play.
The Battlefords North Stars of the SJHL have taken control of the Finning Division, and remain a single point ahead of the Melfort Mustangs and the Weyburn Red Wings. Meanwhile, the Portage Terriers, with their current 17-game winning streak, remain at the top of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League, as the Steinbach Pistons and the Winkler Flyers try to stay close to the Terriers.
The Fort Frances Lakers and their 11-game victory streak in the SIJHL, have secured their place at the top of the standings, while the Soo Thunderbirds, Cochrane Crunch, Powassan Voodoos and Kirkland Lake Gold Miners remain at the top of the pack in the NOJHL.
The Trenton Golden Hawks have won the regular season crown in the OJHL, and the Georgetown Raiders continue their winning ways as the season is in the final week. Meanwhile, the Carleton Place Canadians of the CCHL are locked in a heated battle for top spot overall with the Ottawa Jr. ’A’ Senators and the Brockville Braves.
The Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe of the QJHL have tied the record previously held by the 2005-2006 Pantheres de Saint Jerome, for most wins in the regular season, while the Woodstock Slammers still hold onto the top spot in the overall standings over the Summerside Western Capitals in the extremely competitive Maritime Hockey League.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (1)
2. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (3)
3. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (2)
4. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (4)
5. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (5)
6. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (7)
7. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (6)
8. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (10)
9. Lloydminster Bobcats (AJHL) (12)
10. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (9)
11. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (11)
12. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (8)
13. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (15)
14. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (13)
15. Les Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe (QJHL) (16)
16. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (14)
17. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (17)
18. Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL) (18)
19. College Francais de Longeueil (QJHL) (19)
20. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL), Melfort Mustangs (SJHL), Weyburn Red Wings (SJHL), Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL), Georgetown Raiders (OJHL).
About the Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 Rankings – The Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are produced in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS) and are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.