CALGARY, Alberta – The Aurora Tigers of the OJHL wrapped up a very successful season this weekend by winning the OJHL regular season championship, just slipping by the Trenton Golden Hawks. This coming week will see amazing battles in the CJHL as many final playoff spots and final playoff placements remain to be determined across the country.
While the top teams are basically set in British Columbia, the final two spots in the always tough Interior Division remain up for grabs with the Merritt Centennials, Salmon Arm Silverbacks and the West Kelowna Warriors all tied for third place in the division. The Spruce Grove Saints have all but wrapped up the regular season crown in the AJHL, but watch out for the Drayton Valley Thunder who are ending the season on an 8-game winning streak.
The Melfort Mustangs and the Kindersley Klippers have run away from the rest of the SJHL, but there is a huge battle for the final few playoffs spots between the Humboldt Broncos, Estevan Bruins, Weyburn Red Wings and the La Ronge Ice Wolves.
The Steinbach Pistons are up by one point over the Winnipeg Blues with one game in hand as the season draws to an end for second place overall in the MJHL. The Fort Frances Lakers have clinched the regular season title in the SIJHL; and in the NOJHL the Soo Thunderbirds have quietly moved four points ahead of the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners.
The OJHL playoffs begin this coming week, and as always, look for surprises and teams to emerge as the second season starts; while the Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators and Pembroke Lumber Kings remain only two points apart for second place overall in the CCHL as the final regular season games approach.
The Sherbrooke Cougars remain 3-points ahead of the College Francais de Longueuil for the overall lead in the LHJQ standings with one game in hand, while the Woodstock Slammers have a firm grip on the MHL regular season title over the Dieppe Commandos and the Pictou County Weeks Crushers.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (1)
2. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (2)
3. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (5)
4. Camrose Kodiaks (AJHL) (3)
5. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (4)
6. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (6)
7. Melfort Mustangs (SJHL) (7)
8. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (8)
9. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (9)
10. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (10)
11. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (11)
12. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (12)
13. Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL) (13)
14. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (15)
15. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (14)
16. Nanaimo Clippers (BCHL) (17)
17. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (18)
18. Dieppe Commandos (MHL) (16)
19. Pembroke Lumber Kings (CCHL) (20)
20. Les Cougars de Sherbrooke (LHJQ) (19)
Honourable Mention: Okotoks Oilers (AJHL), Notre Dame Hounds (SJHL), Steinbach Pistons (MJHL), Elliot Lake Wildcats (NOJHL), Cobourg Cougars (OJHL).
About the Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 Weekly Rankings – The Pointsteak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are produced in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS) and are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.