â??CALGARY, Alberta – The CJHL hockey season is well underway in all ten leagues. As usual, there are a number of early surprises, but a lot of hockey left to play in the season. In the CJHL some teams have a knack of rising to the top, while some who are not off to a good start will grow as their recruiting programs and evolving maturity begin to pay dividends with winning records.
Out on the west coast, following another successful BCHL Showcase, the Chilliwack Chiefs, with a new coaching staff, have caught most observers off guard with a perfect start, while the Interior Division continues to be one of the most competitive divisions in all of the country.
The Camrose Kodiaks of the AJHL have also surprised many with their own hot start and have swept to the top of the overall standings in Alberta. Pre-season favorites, the Drumheller Dragons and Fort McMurray Oil Barons are right behind the Kodiaks and certainly will be forces to be reckoned with all season.
In keeping with the surprising start theme, the Notre Dame Hounds of the SJHL, remain unbeaten, with the Melfort Mustangs hot on their heels. The Winnipeg Blues are dominating the MJHL early, while the Sudbury Nickel Barons of the NOJHL, and the Dryden Ice Dogs of the SIJHL each have jumped into leads atop their respective standings.
The Trenton Golden Hawks have emerged from the annual OJHL Governors Showcase still unbeaten and on top of the overall standings in the OJHL. The Carleton Place Canadians, are continuing right where they left off last season with a huge start in the CCHL, and are being pursued closely by the Cornwall Colts who show much promise early in the season.
With a new name and logo, the Titan de Princeville and the upstart Condors de Kahnawake sit atop the overall standings of the LHJQ, while in the Maritime Hockey League; the Woodstock Slammers are also undefeated followed closely by the Dieppe Commandos.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (12)
2. Winnipeg Blues (MJHL) (NR)
3. Notre Dame Hounds (SJHL) (NR)
4. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (NR)
5. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (11)
6. Dryden Ice Dogs (SIJHL) (7)
7. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (4)
8. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (7)
9. Camrose Kodiaks (AJHL) (NR)
10. Melfort Mustangs (SJHL) (NR)
11. Sudbury Nickel Barons (NOâ??JHL) (NR)
12. Cornwall Colts (CCHL) (NR)
13. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (17)
14. Drumheller Dragons (AJHL) (6)
15. Merritt Centennials (BCHL) (14)
16. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (18)
17. Titan de Princeville (LHJQ) (NR)
18. Pickering Panthers (OJHL) (NR)
19. Dieppe Commandos (MHL) (NR)
20. Condors de Kahnawake (LHJQ) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Prince George Spruce Kings (BCHL), Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL), Winkler Flyers (MJHL), Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL), Pictou County Weeks Crushers (MHL).
About the Top 20 Rankings
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings, in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS), are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.