CALGARY, Alberta – As the New Year begins after a terrific holiday break, the race to the RBC Cup in Lloydminster in May is officially on. There were very few changes in this week’s Pointstreak Top 20 Rankings, but there have been several notables as the players return from the Christmas break.
In the BCHL, the Penticton Vees opened the New Year with two decisive victories over their Okanagan rivals, the Vernon Vipers and the Salmon Arm Silverbacks.
In the AJHL, the Brooks Bandits have extended their winning streak to an impressive eleven games, and have moved even closer to the overall standings leader – the Spruce Grove Saints.
The Melfort Mustangs remain in a tight battle for top spot overall in the SJHL with the Battlefords North Stars. The Portage Terriers remain at the top of the MJHL, but dropped a tight game in a shootout to the Steinbach Pistons, who continue to chase the Terriers.
The Fort Frances Lakers of the SIJHL continue their strong grip on first place, while the Soo Thunderbirds, Powassan Voodoos, and the Cochrane Crunch continue to battle and dominate in the NOJHL.
The Trenton Golden Hawks are still running away from the rest of the OJHL, while the Ottawa Jr. ’A’ Senators have zoomed back into second place overall behind the Carleton Place Canadians in the CCHL.
The College Francais de Longueuil of the QJHL have slipped ahead of the Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe, while the Summerside Western Capitals continue to hold onto top spot in the overall standings in the extremely competitive Maritime Hockey League, as the MHL’s January schedule is about to start.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (1)
2. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (2)
3. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (3)
4. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (4)
5. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (5)
6. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (6)
7. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (7)
8. Lloydminster Bobcats (AJHL) (14)
9. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (10)
10. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (8)
11. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (9)
12. Melfort Mustangs (SJHL) (11)
13. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (13)
14. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (15)
15. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (12)
16. College Francais de Longeueil (QJHL) (16)
17. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (19)
18. Summerside Western Capitals (MHL) (18)
19. Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL) (17)
20. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Camrose Kodiaks (AJHL), Dryden Ice Dogs (SIJHL), Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL), Brockville Braves (CCHL), Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe (QJHL).
About the Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 Rankings – The Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are produced in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS) and are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.