CALGARY, Alberta – With all ten leagues in the CJHL now well underway, several leagues are starting to see some separation from the pack already, but many leagues are tightening across all standings, making all the head to head games even more important this early in the regular season.
In the BCHL, the Prince George Spruce Kings and the Chilliwack Chiefs split a huge head to head battle this past weekend, while the Merritt Centennials are on a four-game winning streak and have only allowed eight goals over their first six games. The Camrose Kodiaks of the AJHL remain one of the hottest teams in the country and surged ahead of the overall standings in Alberta with a strong 10 win, one loss record and are in the midst of a seven-game winning streak..
The Notre Dame Hounds of the SJHL and the Portage Terriers in Manitoba – remain the only unbeaten teams in the CJHL. Meanwhile in the SIJHL, the Fort Frances Lakers have found their game and have sneaked atop the standings while the Cochrane Crunch – a new member of the NOJHL remain a surprise and great story with their 8-2 record which puts them on top of their league standings.
The Coburg Cougars have moved atop the strong East Division of the OJHL and hold onto the overall lead in the standings, but have the Trenton Golden Hawks and Whitby Fury hot on their heels. The Carleton Place Canadians are showing the most separation in the CCHL with an impressive 14-3 win loss record.
The Titan de Princeville remain in first place of the LHJQ, but are being tracked closely by the Cougars de Sherbrooke and Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome. In the Maritime Hockey League; the Woodstock Slammers have slipped ahead of the Dieppe Commandos and the Truro Bearcats to lead the MHL.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (7)
2. Notre Dame Hounds (SJHL) (3)
3. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (8)
4. Camrose Kodiaks (AJHL) (9)
5. Coburg Cougars (OJHL) (NR)
6. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (HM)
7. Titan de Princeville (LHJQ) (17)
8. Cornwall Colts (CCHL) (12)
9. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (1)
10. Merritt Centennials (BCHL) (15)
11. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (NR)
12. Winnipeg Blues (MJHL) (2)
13. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (5)
14. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (NR)
15. Flin Flon Bombers (SJHL) (NR)
16. Sudbury Nickel Barons (NOJHL) (11)
17. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (HM)
18. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (4)
19. Dieppe Commandos (MHL) (19)
20. Cougars de Sherbrooke (LHJQ) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Prince George Spruce Kings (BCHL), Battleford North Stars (SJHL), Dryden Ice Dogs (SIJHL), Whitby Fury (OJHL), Truro Bearcats (MHL).
About the Top 20 Rankings – The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are produced in conjunction with International Scouting Services and are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.