Oil Barons and Dragons Go Up 2-0 on the Road

Brooks Bandits vs. Drumheller Dragons (Dragons lead 2-0)

The Drumheller Dragons have shocked the Brooks Bandits and won both games one and two on the road.

Saturday night they would double up the Bandits 4-2 to take a 2-0 series lead.

The Dragons would open the scoring at 16:27 as Hunter Mills (unassisted) would fire the puck behind Bandits’ goaltender Michael Fredrick.

The Dragons would finish the first period with a 1-0 lead, outshooting the Bandits 15-12.

The Bandits would tie the game at 1-1 4:55 into the second period as Dylan Plitt (assists to Nathan Bizeau and Anthony Petruzzelli) took a cross crease pass and snapped it behind Dragons’ goaltender Devin Buffalo.

The Dragons would regain the lead on the power play as Troy Gedny (assists to Hunter Mills and Alex Bechtold) blasted a shot
from the point that beat Fredrick to make it 2-1 at 9:06 of the second period.

The Bandits would tie the game at 2-2 just 34 seconds later at 9:40 as Mark Logan (assists to Ben Assad and Eric Chevier) finished off a broken two on one.

Dragons outshot the Bandits 10-9 in the period and 25-22 after two periods.

Just 50 seconds later, the Bandits would turn the puck over and Mitchell Cook (unassisted) snapped the puck past Fredrick to make it 3-2 Dragons.

The Dragons would add to their lead as Colton Vannucci (assist to Christopher Rauckman) snapped a shot five hole on Fredrick to make it 4-2 at 16:00 of the third period.

Shots favored the Dragons 11-7 in the period and 36-29 in the hockey game.

Game three will be in Drumheller on Monday night.

Spruce Grove Saints vs. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (Oil Barons lead 2-0)

The Spruce Grove Saints should be heading to Fort McMurray with a split after they dominated game two, but they fell 3-2 in overtime to the Oil Barons and now trail the series 2-0.

The Saints would dominate the opening period but neither team would be able to light the lamp.

The Saints would outshoot the Oil Barons 12 to 5.

Just 3:55 into the second period, Jarid Hauptman (assists to Nathan Smith and Dylan Hollman) flipped the puck over Oil Barons’ goaltender Tanner Jaillet to make it 1-0 Saints.

The Saints would continue to dominate as Austin Hunter (assists to Brandon Hickey and Tristan Sieben) snapped a shot low on Jaillet to make it 2-0 at 9:11.

The Oil Barons would get on the board as Kevin Miller (assist to Cole Dunphy) finished off a two on none shorthanded and slid the puck behind Saints’ goaltender Kenny Cameron at 15:14 of the second period.

The Saints outshot the Oil Barons 10-8 in the second period and 22-13 through two periods.

Late in the third period while on the power play, the Oil Barons would tie the game at 2-2 as Curtis Lewington (assist to Kevin Miller) snapped a shot five hole on Cameron at 16:20.

That goal would send the game into overtime.

Shots favored the Saints 7-5 in the third period and 29-18 in the hockey game.

Overtime wouldn`t last long as just 31 seconds in, Kevin Miller would take a shot over Cameron to give the Oil Barons a 3-2 win.

Shots would end up 29-19 in favor of the Saints.

Game three will be in Fort McMurray on Monday night.

Story by Chris Colwell