Photo Credit – Chad Goddard:
The Canalta Hotels AJHL Player of the Week is forward Joseph Karpyshyn of the Calgary Mustangs. In three games played from November 26th – December 2nd, Joseph accumulated 8 points, a game winning goal, and two Star of the Game awards.
Karpyshyn’s week began with a goal and 2 assists in a 4-3 victory over the Brooks Bandits on November 27th. He picked up both an assist on the game winner and the Viterra Star of the Game award. On November 30th, the Bandits would avenge the loss with a 7-4 win against the Mustangs. Joseph added a goal and an assist in the Mustang’s favour. On Sunday, December 2nd, Karpyshyn and the Mustangs would get back on the winning side with a 5-4 win against the Canmore Eagles. The 20 year-old alternate captain added 2 goals, including his fifth game winning goal of the season, and an assist in the victory.
Joseph Karpyshyn (Calgary, AB) has an active 7-game point streak and leads the Mustangs with 32 points (16G, 16A). He is 10th overall is the AJHL scoring race.
The Calgary Mustangs are now in a four-way tie for third place in the Viterra AJHL South Division Standings after posting a record of 6-2-2 in their last 10 games.
The Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Defensive Player of the Week is Drumheller Dragons goaltender Daniel Allin. The rookie goaltender was a perfect 3-0 in net for the Dragons last week through a three game North Division road trip.
Allin (Edmonton, AB) opened the week with a 2-1 shootout win versus the Fort McMurray Oil Barons on Friday night. He stopped 36 of 37 shots on goal and was awarded as the Viterra Star of the Game. Saturday brought another narrow victory for the Dragons as they defeated the division leading Bonnyville Pontiacs 3-2. Allin was faced with 60 shots, allowing just two goals against, and earned the Viterra Star of the Game award for a second consecutive night. The road trip concluded with a 5-2 win for the Dragons in Lloydminster, where Allin turned aside 28 of 30 shots for the win.
Daniel Allin, 18, joined the Dragons from the KIJHL at the start of November. The Dragons are tied for second place in the Viterra AJHL South Division Standings with a record of 20-10-0 for 40 points.
Canalta Hotels AJHL Player of the Week Recipients:
• Shane Ott, Drumheller Dragons: September 14-16, 2018
• Parker Saretsky, Spruce Grove Saints: September 17-23, 2018
• Charles-Olivier Ouimet, Whitecourt Wolverines: September 24-30, 2018
• Arjun Atwal, Sherwood Park Crusaders: October 1-7, 2018
• Zach Webb, Grande Prairie Storm: October 8-14, 2018
• Jeremy Gervais, Bonnyville Pontiacs: October 15-21, 2018
• Carter Savoie, Sherwood Park Crusaders: October 22-28, 2018
• Ray Christy, Brooks Bandits: October 29-November 4, 2018
• Carter Savoie, Sherwood Park Crusaders: November 5-11, 2018
• Kyler Kupka, Camrose Kodiaks: November 12-18, 2018
• Trey Thomas, Bonnyville Pontiacs: November 19-25, 2018
• Joseph Karpyshyn, Calgary Mustangs: November 26 – December 2, 2018
Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Defensive Player of the Week:
• Taner Miller, Fort McMurray Oil Barons : September 14-16, 2018
• Mark Drohan, Canmore Eagles: September 17-23, 2018
• Ashton Abel, Calgary Mustangs: September 24-30, 2018
• TJ Lloyd, Spruce Grove Saints: October 1-7, 2018
• Pierce Charleson, Brooks Bandits: October 8-14, 2018
• Kaeden Freer-Lane, Grande Prairie Storm: October 15-21, 2018
• Ryan Conroy, Fort McMurray Oil Barons: October 22-28, 2018
• Zach Vinnell, Camrose Kodiaks: October 29-November 4, 2018
• Luke Lush, Drayton Valley Thunder: November 5-11, 2018
• Luke Lush, Drayton Valley Thunder November 12-18, 2018
• Jordan DiCicco, Brooks Bandits: November 19-25, 2018
• Daniel Allin, Drumheller Dragons: November 26 – December 2, 2018