CALGARY, Alta. – It was quite a weekend in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League as the previously unbeaten Steinbach Pistons fell twice on the road to the OCN Blizzard with both contests ending in 2-1 scores. The first meeting went to overtime before OCN pulled out the win in The Pas, Man.
In the BCHL, the Wenatchee Wild had their own showdown on Saturday night as topped the powerhouse Penticton Vees 4-1 at home before over 3,000 fans to take over top spot in league winning percentage.
The Fort McMurray Oil Barons sit atop the overall AJHL standings with 14 wins and are being closely pursued by the Spruce Grove Saints, Whitecourt Wolverines, Bonnyville Pontiacs and the Calgary Canucks.
In Saskatchewan, the Estevan Bruins have moved past the Humboldt Broncos in terms of winning percentage.
MJHL action has Steinbach being chased by both OCN and the Portage Terriers.
The English River Miners, with two games in hand, are staking their claim to a strong showing in the SIJHL.
In the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League, the Powassan Voodoos and Soo Thunderbirds have seven and six-game win streaks intact respectively and hold down top spot in their divisions.
The 2017 RBC Cup host Cobourg Cougars lead the way in OJHL winning percentage with the Georgetown Raiders and Trenton Golden Hawks close behind.
Meanwhile the Carleton Place Canadians remain in first place in the extremely competitive CCHL with only six points separating the top six clubs. Among those, the Hawkesbury Hawks have won five straight.
No. 1 College Francais de Longueuil and No. 3 Les Cobras de Terrebonne still lead the way in the LHJQ.
On the East Coast it’s a three-way tie for first overall in the MHL with the Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners, Miramichi Timberwolves and Pictou County Weeks Crushers sharing top spot overall with 26 points each.
The following is the CJHL Top 20 rankings as of Oct. 31
CJHL TOP 20 (As of Oct. 31, 2016)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. College Francais de Longueuil (LHJQ) (3)
2. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (1)
3. Les Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJQ) (2)
4. Cobourg Cougars (OJHL) (4)
5. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (10)
6. Wenatchee Wild (BCHL) (9)
7. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (5)
8. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (13)
9. Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL) (8)
10. Estevan Bruins (SJHL) (17)
11. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (HM)
12. English River Miners (SIJHL) (16)
13. OCN Blizzard (MJHL) (NR)
14. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (12)
15. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (11)
16. Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL) (6)
17. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (HM)
18. Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) (14)
19. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (7)
20. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL); Battlefords North Stars (SJHL); Dryden GM Ice Dogs (SIJHL); Miramichi Timberwolves (MHL); Pictou County Weeks (MHL).
ABOUT THE TOP 20 RANKINGS: The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.