The University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds captured the 2013 University Cup and eleven Canadian Junior Hockey League alumni became CIS National Champions on Sunday evening.
The No. 2 seed University of New Brunswick shutout the No. 4 seed Saint Mary’s University 2-0 at Saskatoon’s Credit Union Centre to earn their fifth CIS University Cup in school history. UNB finished the tournament with a perfect 3-0 record.
One goal was all the Varsity Reds would need as CJHL alumnus and former Wellington Duke Goaltender Daniel LaCosta was perfect in net, stopping all 17 shots he faced. LaCosta, a native of Labrador City, Newfoundland, earned his first shutout of the tournament and was named to the 2013 University Cup All-Tournament Team.
CJHL Alumni and 2013 University Cup Champions:
1. Tim Priamo, Burlington Cougars, OJHL
2. Bryce Swan, Amherst Ramblers, MHL
3. Colby Pridham, Charlottetown Abbies, MHL
4. Ben Wright, Brooks Bandits, AJHL
5. Adrian Robertson, Mississauga Chargers, OJHL
6. Stefan Salituro, Pembroke Lumber Kings / St. Michael's Buzzers / Vaughan Vipers, CCHL / OJHL
7. Dion Campbell, Yorkton Terriers / Melville Millionaires, SJHL
8. Travis Fullerton, Moncton Gagnon Beavers, MHL
9. Daniel LaCosta, Wellington Dukes, OJHL
10. Jon Waye, Amherst Ramblers / Dieppe Commandos, MHL
11. Charles Lavigne, Hawkesbury Hawks, CCHL
In total, 62 players on the tournament's 6 team rosters were alumni of the CJHL, including 13 members of the St Mary’s University Huskies and 11 from UNB.
Each season hundreds of CJHL players and alumni commit to universities and colleges on both sides of the Canada-US border. During the 2012-2013 season, over 780 former CJHL players played in the CIS (Canadian Interuniversity Sport), Alberta Colleges Athletic Association (ACAC) and BC Intercollegiate Hockey League (BCIHL).. This represents 61% of players on Canadian university and college team rosters.