CALGARY, Alta. – There is just one club still unbeaten entering play this week in the 132-team CJHL with the Manitoba Junior Hockey League’s Steinbach Pistons having won an impressive 12 times in succession to start the 2016-17 campaign.
In the BCHL, the Penticton Vees and their solid play have overtaken the Wenatchee Wild atop the overall standings with 13 wins against just two losses.
The Bonnyville Pontiacs, owners of a seven-game winning streak, now have the best winning percentage in the AJHL and are being chased by the Fort McMurray Oil Barons, the Spruce Grove Saints and the Calgary Canucks.
Over in the SJHL, the Humboldt Broncos are still flying high while the Estevan Bruins are making a move upward.
Unbeaten Steinbach sits first in the MJHL, but are being pursued by the Portage Terriers and the Winkler Flyers.
Action in the SIJHL has the Thunder Bay North Stars in first, but the upstart English River Miners have won six in a row and boast the league’s best winning percentage.
The Cochrane Crunch and Soo Thunderbirds of the NOJHL are atop the East and West Divisions respectively.
The 2017 RBC Cup host Cobourg Cougars are 13-1 and lead the way in OJHL winning percentage with the Georgetown Raiders and Trenton Golden Hawks sitting one-two respectively in points.
Meanwhile, the Carleton Place Canadians still holds down top spot in the extremely competitive CCHL with the Smiths Falls Bears and Cornwall Colts just one point in arrears while the Kemptville 73s are two back.
The Cobras de Terrebonne and the College Francais de Longueuil each dropped a game this past week in the LHJQ, but continue to lead the way in that league.
As for the MHL, the Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners fell from the ranks of the unbeaten, however they are still a solid 12-2. The Miramichi Timberwolves are right behind at 10-2-1-1.
CJHL TOP 20 (As of Oct. 24)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (1)
2. Les Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJQ) (2)
3. College Francais de Longueuil (LHJQ) (6)
4. Cobourg Cougars (OJHL) (8)
5. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (9)
6. Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL) (14)
7. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (5)
8. Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL) (3)
9. Wenatchee Wild (BCHL) (4)
10. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (17)
11. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (7)
12. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (11)
13. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (13)
14. Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) (15)
15. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (HM)
16. English River Miners (SIJHL) (NR)
17. Estevan Bruins (SJHL) (NR)
18. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (NR)
19. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (18)
20. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL); Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL); Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL); Dryden GM Ice Dogs (SIJHL); Miramichi Timberwolves (MHL).
ABOUT THE TOP 20 RANKINGS: The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.