The Alberta Junior Hockey League and Viterra are proud to once again recognize volunteers from each member team through the Viterra AJHL Volunteer Profile. At the end of the regular season, one volunteer in both the Viterra AJHL North Division & Viterra AJHL South Division will be presented with the Viterra Salute to Service Award recognizing their service and commitment to the Alberta Junior Hockey League.
- Name: Jim Kirkwood
- AJHL Team: Okotoks Oilers
- Role: Goal Judge, Statistician, Penalty Box Attendant, and Volunteer Mentor
- Number of Years Volunteering: 9 seasons
- Why I Volunteer: I would say hockey is my passion. Having been involved with the game since I was about 4 and being involved as a player, coach, manager, and as an off-ice official, hockey has been an integral part of my life. Being able to give back to the game that has given me so much enjoyment over the years is very gratifying. Organizations like the Okotoks Oilers do tremendous work with the community and Okotoks minor hockey and without volunteers would be hard pressed to keep going. Having the opportunity to participate and contribute in some small way has been truly rewarding. In the words of John Wooden “ You haven’t lived a perfect day until you done something for somebody whom you know will never be able to repay you”. That’s what volunteering at hockey is all about.
- Occupation: Currently employed by UFA Co-Operative Ltd. as a Buyer, Special Projects, Agribusiness
- Favorite AJHL Memory: Being able to represent (on my own initiative) the AJHL in Summerside, Prince Edward Island for the 2013 Royal Bank Cup and work with Hockey Canada as one of several statisticians.
- Favorite AJHL Player: There have been so many since the team’s inception. Jeff Barrett and Kyle Reynolds are a couple who come to mind and I always marveled at their skill, tenacity and off ice character. They were just great kids.
“Not only is Jim an extremely reliable and a valuable member of our volunteer staff, he is professional and diplomatic. Jim has a special talent that he brings with him each evening to our home games. Not only does he come volunteer, but he brings all of our volunteer staff baked treats, which he bakes himself, for each of our home game nights. In 9 years I don’t believe we have the same treat twice. Tremendously dedicated to our Organization!! We are honoured to have his expertise available to us.” – Dawn Lemaistre, Business Manager, Okotoks Oilers